The 2019 Summer Movie Season is officially over! Though there were a few movies I really loved that came out this summer, this was one of the more lackluster summers in recent years. The biggest problem with this summer movie season was the blockbusters. A lot of the big budget franchise films ended up being complete duds, which really killed the summer for me. But the summer wasn’t a complete failure. There were a number of indies and comedies that showed up, along with some wild horror films too. Here are my picks for the best movies and performances of summer 2019.
*NOTE* – The Summer Movie Season takes place from May to August, so AVENGERS: ENDGAME is not eligible for this list.
TOP 5 BEST MOVIES
5 – TOY STORY 4 (Josh Cooley)
- The latest in the legendary Pixar franchise is a hilarious, beautifully animated, deeply emotional film that surprised me at every turn.
4 – MIDSOMMAR (Ari Aster)
- Ari Aster’s follow-up to his horror masterpiece Hereditary is a chilling, haunting, deeply disturbing break-up movie led by an astounding performance by Florence Pugh.
3 – BOOKSMART (Olivia Wilde)
- Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein play best friends looking for a party on the last night of high school in 2019’s best comedy.
2 – ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD (Quentin Tarantino)
- Quentin Tarantino’s newest gem is a stunning and unique Hollywood fairy tale led by dynamite performances from Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt.
1 – THE FAREWELL (Lulu Wang)
- Funny, sweet, honest, and heartbreaking with wonderful performances and top-notch direction, The Farewell is not only the best movie of the summer, but one of the very best movies of 2019.
BEST OF THE REST
BEST DIRECTOR – QUENTIN TARANTINO, ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
- Runner Up – Ari Aster, Midsommar
BEST ACTOR: LEONARDO DICAPRIO, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
- Runner Up – Keanu Reeves, John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
BEST ACTRESS – FLORENCE PUGH, MIDSOMMAR
- Runner Up – Awkwafina, The Farewell
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – BRAD PITT, ONCE UPON A TIME…IN HOLLYWOOD
- Runner Up – Will Smith, Aladdin
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – SHUZHEN ZHAO, THE FAREWELL
- Runner Up – Billie Lorde, Booksmart
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY – THE FAREWELL
- Runner Up – Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – BLINDED BY THE LIGHT
- Runner Up – Toy Story 4
BEST COMEDY – BOOKSMART
- Runner Up – Pokémon Detective Pikachu
BEST ACTION FILM – JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 – PARABELLUM
- Runner Up – Godzilla: King of the Monsters
BEST HORROR FILM – MIDSOMMAR
- Runner Up – Ready or Not
BEST SEQUEL – TOY STORY 4
- Runner Up – John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
BIGGEST SURPRISE – DORA AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
- Runner Up – Aladdin
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT – WHERE’D YOU GO, BERNADETTE
- Runner Up – Lion King
MOVIE EVERYONE LOVED THAT I DIDN’T – LUCE
- Runner Up – Spider-Man: Far From Home
MOVIE EVERYONE HATED THAT I DIDN’T – ALADDIN
- Runner Up – The Kitchen
BOTTOM 5 WORST MOVIES
(#1 being the worst)
5 – AFTER THE WEDDING (Bart Freundlich)
- White People Problems: The Movie.
4 – MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL (F. Gary Gray)
- This unnecessary and stupid remake defines what is wrong with franchises in today’s Hollywood.
3 – CHILD’S PLAY (Lars Klevberg)
- A remake that shouldn’t exist.
2 – THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2 (Chris Renaud, Jonathan del Val)
- Offensive to both kids and adults.
1 – 47 METERS DOWN: UNCAGED (Johannes Roberts)
- Incredibly boring, horribly made, zero scares, and no fun.
Follow Kevflix on Twitter and Instagram, @kevflix, and on Facebook by searching Kevflix.