April has become one of the bigger cinematic months over the years. With films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Jungle Book, and Fate of the Furious all coming out over the past few Aprils, this month seems to be the new launching point for summer blockbusters and this year is no different. There are five really good, diverse movies coming out this month, including three superhero movies with one of them being arguably the biggest movie of 2019. Here are my picks for the most exciting movies coming out in April.
5 – MISSING LINK (Chris Butler, April 12)
- Disney and Pixar may rule the animation world, but you know what studio consistently puts out great work and gets better with each movie? Laika, the small animated studio responsible for great films like Coraline, Paranorman, and Kubo . Missing Link is the latest film from Laika and it looks spectacular. The stop-motion animation and colors looks gorgeous and the voice cast of Zach Galifianakis, Hugh Jackman, Zoe Saldana, Timothy Olyphant, and Emma Thompson is the most impressive for a Laika film. Missing Link has the potential to be one of the best animated features of the year.
4 – HELLBOY (Neil Marshall, April 12)
- Sadly, Guillermo Del Toro was unable to finish his Rob Pearlman-led Hellboy trilogy, which is a damn shame because those movies rule. However, there are a few things I am interested in seeing in this new Hellboy. One is that the film is rated R, which means they upped the violence quite a bit and possibly the horror element. With Neil Marshall at the helm, who directed the horrifying The Descent, that R-rating could make it a bit creepier and weirder than Del Toro’s films, which would be quite a feat. The second is Milla Jovovich as the film’s villain. Jovovich is always nice to see on screen and someone who’s talent has gone under-appreciated over the years. It takes a true talent to keep the Resident Evil movies alive for a whopping six movies. And finally, David Harbour rocking the fist and horns is an exciting pick. Harbour has been a “that guy” character actor for years and, even though we won’t see his face, it’s awesome that he’s finally gotten a leading role. This film has some big shoes to fill, but definitely has the potential to do so.
3 – SHAZAM! (David F. Sandberg, April 5)
- Shazam! is DC’s latest movie and it’s one of their most interesting ones. I’ve already had the pleasure of seeing it (review coming soon) and the movie is an absolute blast. It’s a quick, fun, exciting movie with a lot of heart. This easily the most emotional DC movie in a long time and has a scene and a storyline that will really pulls at the heartstrings. The cast is great and Zachary Levi is bound to get a career-resurgence after his performance here. I don’t want to give too much of my opinion away here, but just know this movie rules.
2 – PET SEMATARY (Kevil Kölsch, Dennis Widmyer, April 5)
- After the massive success of It, Stephen King adaptations are a hot commodity, and since Pet Sematary had already been made 30 years ago, this seemed like the right choice for Hollywood. Telling the story of a family who realizes there new countryside home in Maine is mere feet away from a mysterious burial ground, Pet Sematary looks incredibly weird and creepy, my favorite parts of any great horror movie. With a couple of new, young directors at the helm and a story sure to make everyone’s spine shiver, and a ton of hype out of SXSW, Pet Sematary is bound to be one of 2019’s premier horror movies.
1 – AVENGERS: ENDGAME (Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, April 26)
- Look, no disrespect to the other films on the list, but none of those movies matter. Sure, they’re all probably good and an enjoyable film-going experience, but April is Avengers month and it is the biggest Avengers movie of them all. Endgame marks the finale of Marvel’s ten-plus year journey that started in 2008 with Iron Man. Disney and Marvel have done a terrific job of not spoiling a thing about this movie. Here is what we know: Half of the galaxy is gone. The only surviving Avengers are Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye (now Ronan), Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, Okoye and a few others. Thanos is still around and the Avengers want their revenge. Also, the movie is THREE HOURS LONG! How will it end? Nobody knows. All I know is that this is the cinematic event of the year. A decade worth of movies and world building have all come to this. I expect a big, epic, emotional finale to one of cinema’s greatest achievements.
Follow Kevflix on Twitter and Instagram, @kevflix, and on Facebook by searching Kevflix.