Continuing to look at the best movies of 2018, it is now time to look at the genres. I like to see movies from all genres from all around the world and this is the opportunity to highlight the best from all genres. There are some conventional categories, like Best Animated Film and Best Foreign Film, but also categories you won’t find at the Oscars. Here are my picks.
BEST ANIMATED MOVIE – INCREDIBLES 2
Runner Up – Ralph Breaks the Internet
- It was a strong year for animation this year, but no animated movie was stronger than Brad Bird’s long-awaited sequel that is smart, funny, complex, and thrilling.
BEST FOREIGN FILM – THE GUILTY
Runner Up – Shoplifters
- The Guilty is a movie I saw back in May and is a movie I still can’t get over. It’s a tightly wound, claustrophobic thriller full of twists and turns and an outstanding performance from Jakob Cedergren.
BEST COMEDY – GAME NIGHT
Runner Up – Blockers
- Game Night is a movie I have watched numerous times and I laugh at something new every time. That is a sign of an all-timer.
BEST ACTION FILM – MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT
Runner Up – UPGRADE
- Tom Cruise’s H.A.L.O. jump is an awe-inspiring feat in a film filled with some of the best action set-pieces of the decade.
BEST HORROR/THRILLER – HEREDITARY
Runner Up – A Quiet Place
- I loved John Krazinski’s debut, but Hereditary is a horror masterpiece and one of the best movies of the year.
BEST DOCUMENTARY – THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS
Runner Up – In Search of Greatness
- Three Identical Strangers is a fascinating nature vs nurture documentary, but its greatness lies in the staying power the film has after the credits roll.
BIGGEST SURPRISE – UPGRADE
Runner Up – Venom
- I thought Venom was going to be a disaster and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. But Upgrade completely took me off-guard with its slick action, smart script, and lead performance from Logan Marshall Green.
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT – BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Runner Up – Solo: A Star Wars Story
- A Queen biopic sounded great, but when its a dreadfully lame paint-by-numbers biopic, you’re better off staying at home watching YouTube clips of the band’s best performances.
BEST MOVIE NOBODY SAW – BODIED
Runner Up – Wildlife
- Joseph Kahn’s biting satire is a film that gives the middle finger to today’s hyper-sensitive society while being hilarious, startling, and brilliantly made.
UNDERRATED – MORTAL ENGINES
Runner Up – The Possession of Hannah Grace
- It is incredibly rare to get a non-franchise film as big and ambitious as Mortal Engines. It isn’t a perfect film, but I had a blast with it. It is a film I admire and wish Hollywood made more of.
OVERRATED – GREEN BOOK
Runner Up – Love, Simon
- The fact that Green Book is going to be nominated for a slew of Oscars infuriates me.
BEST MOVIE YOU NEVER HEARD OF – LIYANA
Runner Up – Monster
- Liyana is a delightful and inspiring documentary about the stories of a Swaziland folk heroine as told by orphaned children of the country. The film is told through animation and live-action and shows the imagination of the children and what Liyana means to them. It’s absolutely lovely.
WORST MOVIE EVERYBODY HEARD OF – JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM
Runner Up – Fifty Shades Freed
- The Fifty Shades franchise is finally over and it was an abysmal ending. But nothing in 2018 made me angrier then the clone twist and freeing of the dinosaurs in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and for that, the movie should be ashamed and the franchise should die (it won’t).
Continue to follow Kevflix on Twitter and Instagram, @kevflix, and on Facebook by searching Kevflix.